Honey - Benefit from it, Insha' Allah
'Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur'an and honey.' (Sahih Bukhari)
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
With regard to the Prophet's guidance concerning drinking, it is the most perfect guidance that maintains good health.
· He (Sallalahi Alahi WaSallam) used to drink honey mixed with cold water.
o This is very healthy and no one can understand how healthy it is except the most prominent doctors.
o For drinking honey on an empty stomach dissolves phlegm, cleanses the stomach, reduces its viscosity, washes away waste matter, warms it up a little and opens its inlet and exit.
o It has a similar effect on the liver, kidneys and urethra.
o It is more beneficial to the stomach than any other kind of sweet that enters it.
o However it may cause side effects in people who are suffering from jaundice because it is hot and jaundice is hot, so it may aggravate it; in order to avoid this effect vinegar may be added, then honey will become beneficial and drinking it will be more useful than many or most of the drinks that are made from sugar, especially for those who are not used to these drinks, for if they drink them they will not suit them as well as honey does, or even come close.
· With regard to drinking it when it is collected and well-prepared, this is one of the most beneficial things for the body, and one of the greatest means of preserving health; it is very refreshing and energizing, and it is good for the liver and heart.
o If it is well-prepared it provides nutrition and makes food reach all parts of the body in the most effective manner.
Zaad al-Ma'aad, 4/224, 225
And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him):
· Honey contains great benefits, for it cleanses impurities from the veins and stomach etc, whether it is eaten or applied to the skin.
· It is good for the elderly, the phlegmatic and those whose humours are cold and wet.
· It is nourishing, aids digestion, energizes, makes unpleasant medicine palatable, is good for the liver and chest, is a diuretic and helps to ease coughs caused by phlegm.
· If it is drunk warm mixed with rosewater it is beneficial for one who has been bitten by a scorpion or who has consumed opium.
· If it is drunk on its own mixed with water, it is good for the one who has been bitten by a rabid dog or eaten poisonous mushrooms.
· If fresh meat is placed in honey, it will stay fresh for three months, as will cucumbers, pumpkins and eggplants. Many fruits can be kept in it for six months.
· It will also preserve a dead body, and it is known as the trustworthy preserver.
· If the body of one who is afflicted with lice is painted with honey, it will kill the lice and their eggs.
· It makes the hair long, beautiful and smooth.
· If used on the eyes like kohl it clears the vision.
· If the teeth are brushed with it, it whitens the teeth and makes them bright, and keeps the gums healthy.
· It opens the veins and induces menstruation.
· If taken on an empty stomach it takes away phlegm and cleanses the stomach, clearing away waste matter and restoring the correct temperature. It does likewise to the liver, kidneys and urethra.
Zaad al-Ma'aad, 4/33, 34.
Please report any
broken links to
Copyright © 1988-2012 irfi.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer